Ultimately, value is the net positive emotional experience something creates and sustains.
- Value is subjective
- All kinds of value constantly fluctuate
- Value is usually primarily expressed as a monetary quantity
- But value is unquantifiable
- Value is similar to, but never exactly equivalent to, financial profitability
- Value often carries an element of surprise
Thus you can define value as the price you pay for something, or the profitability it creates – as long as those aren’t entirely defined monetarily either.